Wednesday, October 7, 2020

#QueerBlogWed: Paula's Prompts

On May 20, 2020, P.T. Wyant posted at ptwyant.com a Wednesday Words prompt involving an imposter, a note, and a portrait.

This letter from Elizabeth Hartford to Westerleigh Hartford, characters from my attempt at elegant gothic horror, A Portrait Is Worth a Thousand Words, was the result...

Have you found this note, my little imposter? 

Yes, I know you’re lying. You’ve snuck onto my estate, into my library under false pretenses. Yet you are one of my blood, a Hartford. You’re one who’s looked into the painted eyes of my portrait, felt the craving to serve me, to worship me in all the darkest crevices of your secret heart you struggle to conceal from the world.

Well and good. This means I can grant your wish, my dear. I have need of you, for your lady has made terrible mistakes. Yes, this may be difficult for you to comprehend in your innocence idealism, but I still walk the earth, even if I no longer live and breathe. My soul is trapped within pain by one who once loved me, yet did not know her own power. 

It is essential that you come to know yours, my duplicitous, yet devoted descendent. You must unlock what lies within your blood and brain, to access the part of me which lives inside you. 

This won’t be easy. Anyone who loves you will resist your efforts. You yourself as an individual may resist. What remains of me, unliving and feeding on life, will not be your ally. This is why it is crucial that you prepare to embrace me, to allow me within your heart and mind.

I speak in riddles, a maddening practice, yet necessary for me to mentor you from beyond the grave while allowing you to develop on your own. You were clever enough to deceive the caretaker of my estate and achieve access to my home. You must be clever enough to un-riddle the meaning of this note. 

I swear to you, I will always be near you, even if I am limited in how much I can act. If ever you doubt yourself or me, go to my portrait. Look at me, into the painted eyes which represent mine. They are the windows to my soul, more truly than actual eyes ever are. They will give you courage. They will give you resolve.

I sense your adoration, a sentiment I cannot reciprocate, but you’ve hardly earned it, have you, little imposter? What you have is my confidence and my trust. No, you haven’t earned these either, but they are your birthright and of far greater value than any mere affection. Whatever else you might be, you are my blood descendent, a part of myself. My purpose has nowhere else to live but in you.

Do not disappoint me, little imposter. Do not disappoint yourself. 

Sincerely,

Elizabeth Hartford

No comments:

Post a Comment