Saturday, March 12, 2016

Snippet from 'Fairest'

Here's this Saturday's Rainbow snippet! This time it's f/f, an UNEDITED fragment of my novella, 'Fairest', which is being released May 11, 2016 by prizmbooks.com. Sorry I don't have any cover art yet, but Kris Norris has dropped tantalizing hints about it. :) 'Fairest' is my own fantasy fairy tale mixture of 'Sleeping Beauty' and 'Snow White', with a touch of 'Cinderella' thrown in. Enjoy!

My first memory was of her dark eyes. They seemed to capture all the colors of my infant universe, even as they threatened to swallow me. Her eyes should have been terrifying, but they weren’t.

Her blood red lips moved, shaping words I could only dimly recall. My parents remembered them only too well, as did everyone else who’d gathered at the castle for my christening.


“I, too, have a gift for this child. She shall grow up, with all the beauty and promise of the dawn, but her sun will never rise.”

21 comments:

  1. What a wonderful idea. Who doesn't love fairy tales? Cool snippet :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love retold fairy tales. The last line intrigues me. I wonder what it means.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds fascinating. More, please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! More is coming. :) I hope to post one more free snippet with the cover art, if I can get permission to do both. I'm pretty sure I will. After that, the book itself will be for sale on May 11, 2016.

      Delete
  4. This sounds great, looking forward to more! So happy to see gals in the mix, too. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me, too. :) I never get tired of the gentlemen, but I love seeing the ladies get some action, as well. :)

      Delete
  5. Yeah, thats a little creepy on the last line, but in the best of ways! I'm intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you! More is coming. :) The book is being published on May 11, 2016. I hope to post one more free snippet in the time between, with the cover art, once it's ready and I get my publisher's permission. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's funny, because everything I've posted, until now at 'Rainbow Snippets' is m/m. However, my two projects with definite publication dates are both f/f. :) Plus, there's another story, which requires some polishing up, but it might be accepted, after the polish. It's also f/f. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fascinating. What an intriguing place to begin a reimagining.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've fascinated by this particular myth for a long time. Actually, all of the 'sleeping curse' myths, along with the magic mirror, which its ambiguous revelation of 'the fairest of them all'. That fascination is what inspired this novella. :)

      Delete
  9. The last line is both chilling and poetic.

    ReplyDelete