Monday, November 26, 2018

Secondary Characters Speak Out: Quartz and...Christopher?!

Quartz: What in the flaming devils are you doing here?! This blog is for secondary characters only!

Christopher: Remember your role in Fairest?

Quartz: Bah! Stupid scribbler reduced me to a secondary character. A deceased secondary character no less! I decided to start this monthly article and stand up for other secondary characters…which you’ve never been, oh, lead in weekly preludes at the Cauldron. Hmph! 

Christoper: Only now you’re the main character in Of Cuckoo Clocks and Crystal Coffins. 

Quartz: If she ever finishes it, let alone convinces Nine Star Press to publish it. I wasn’t about to allow that scribbler to end things like that for me or Briar. Hmmph! 

Christopher: Things changed for me as well. I went from being the main character in Stealing Myself From Shadows and its preludes to a secondary character in The Hand and the Eye of the Tower, A Godling for Your Thoughts? Not to mention she’s shown just how ruthless she can be toward me in My Tool, My Treasure.

Quartz: She didn’t kill you off, did she?

Christopher: That is the question. I’m not sure if I ever was truly alive as you were…are. Not this particular version of me, who’s speaking to you now?

Quartz: What?

Christopher: Damian visualized me and wished me into being. He drew this form from the shadows. He offered me his life in return for the Shadow Forest. Now that I’ve abandoned that life to chase Damian beyond the Door, I may have lost whatever existence in Damian’s world which I possessed.

Quartz: Lad, that isn’t just utter madness, that’s messed up madness. 

Christopher: I sometimes think I’m all about messed up madness.

Quartz: So you’re not sure if you’re real because you walked through a Door? Flimsy existence you’ve got if that’s true.

Christopher: My existence may well have been flimsy. That doesn’t mean it wasn’t precious to me.

Quartz: Well, if it wasn’t precious to you, you shouldn’t just let it go.

Christopher: If letting go brings Damian back, I’ll do it. Not to mention I’m responsible for other lives as well. Half lives, visualized from dreams as I was, yet no less precious. If I went back to my old existence, would Danyel and Tayel lose theirs? This is something else to worry about. 

Quartz: Danyel, Tayel, and their family…you can’t go back to your life without destoying theirs?Sounds like quite the conflict of existence. 

Christopher: Not just for me. (sighs)

Quartz: Right. Damian gave up his existence for you. I doubt he’s happy that you walked through this Door, and threw it all away. Not to mention less than pleased with these twins of yours for taking part of the life he sacrificed for you.

Christopher: I…it wasn’t like that. It wasn’t…I didn’t think-

Quartz: No, you didn’t! Not that your irresponsible mageling has any right to judge. I doubt Damian Ashelocke thinks about what he’s doing either…or how anyone is going to react to what he does .

Christopher: I can’t really argue with any of that. (sad smile) I fear we’ll only begin to understand when it’s too late. Both of us.

Quartz: The two of you may have a lot to answer for in the end.

Christopher: Oh, we’ll answer for a lot long before the end. We are what we are, after all.

Quartz: Just what are you, Christopher? You’ve referred to yourself as a shadow in posts past, but what does that mean?

Christopher: I was born fully formed from the darkness. I feed on the emotions, sentiments, and memories of others. I’m hoping I don’t have to be a predator, who only steals these things. I’d like to give and share them if possible. 

Quartz: What does that mean?

Christopher: I’m only just beginning to figure that out myself. There’s so much more to learn.

Quartz: Right. All this time, talking to you, bonding over our mutual frustration with the scribbler, and you’re still a bloody enigma. 

Christopher: It bothers me, too. Believe me. 



No comments:

Post a Comment