Wednesday, July 17, 2019

#QueerBlogWed: Paula's Prompt

On May 15, 2019, P.T. Wyant posted at ptwyant.com a Wednesday Words prompt involving a scalded hand, new shoes, and paper.

This poem was the result...

Confetti flutters down around me
Spotlights pick out my new shoes
How easy it is to start the dance 
The sharp tap of my feet release a magical rhythm
Making me move faster and faster
It hurts to even think of slowing down
No, I cannot stop now
I stamp, I leap, I try to fly
I’m on the verge of falling
Lifting a leg, I reach down
Frightened, ready to pull of my shoe
My hand burns as it brushes the leather
I withdraw scalded flesh, tears in my eyes
Never touch these shoes in motion
The rhythm insists on playing itself out
My feet are just a means of communicating
Of allowing sound to manifest as action
In a world of unrealized sensation
I step and tap a wordless code
Sending a message across the world
To all the shiny new shoes neglected on shelves
Waiting for feet to take them into the world. 


No comments:

Post a Comment