Wednesday, October 24, 2018

#QueerBlogWed: Paula's Prompt

On September 26, 2018, P.T. Wyant posted at ptwyant.com as her Wednesday Words prompt an octopus, a soldier, and a memory.

This bizarre poem came to me as a result...

Marching onward I continue
Reaching out with many arms
Seizing my prey underwater
Every fish is an enemy of the state
I devour them in the name of my aquatic queen 
Never questioning my ever seeking grasp

A memory nags me amidst my hunt
Of warm blood, pink flesh
Living on land
Perhaps it’s only a dream
It seems so unreal

My queen’s many eyes seek me out
“Soldier, do not be tempted by human visions
They would lure you into becoming part of their world
Even though we’ve lived beneath the water as long as we have
These creatures would fry and devour you with less mercy
Than you show the least of fishes
Do not trust their memories.”

My queen needn’t worry
Who could believe such ridiculous images
Of two legged creatures, frolicking in the sunlight
Always ready to collapse on their ungainly limbs

Yet I cannot help but marvel at this nonsense
Floating around like a memory
Do people of the sea dream of land creatures?
Do we sense their memories?
Or are their feelings polluting our waters
Like so much of their refuse?

Why do I enjoy raising a stiff human limb?
Popping one of my own into my mouth
Fried in the grease humans love
Only to enjoy the taste of my own flesh?


2 comments: