Wednesday, October 3, 2018

#QueerBlogWed: Residents of the Tower

On September 5, 2018, P.T. Wyant posted at ptwyant.com a Wednesday Words prompt involving a gargoyle, thread, and rain.

This made me think of Rhodry Mavelyne (whose handle I use all over social media) and the special relationship he had with Imp and Smirk, the guardian gargoyles in the Library at the Keep.

I decided to take Imp and Smirk over to Daeric's tower in the world of A Suitor's Challenge and Trouble at Caerac Keep. I figured they could guard the library my cranky wizard was hoarding within his walls.

Once again, the Rhodry of this universe, Rhodry Nevalyn feeds the gargoyles coal and brimstone. Once more, the gargoyles show a different side to him that they do to a lot of people...


Rain fell from above, dripping off the stone heads of the creatures crouched in the eaves of the tower. They leered with monstrous faces at those who passed Daeric’s threshold, anyone who dared to enter his sanctuary of knowledge. 

These gargoyles could sniff out ill intentions in those who would intrude, those who threatened the safety of those who’d claimed the protection of these walls. 

I might be one of the few people who’d seen their more playful side. That Imp, the smaller of the two gargoyles would dangle a thread right under Smirk’s nose’s, wiggling it. I was never sure if she was trying to tickle her companion or simply tease him. 

Smirk grinned back at her whenever she did this. Smirk always grinned, even if it was a smile filled with pointed teeth. Whatever the rest of the world did was a joke to him. He’d wait, pretending he didn’t notice the thread until he snapped at it. 

Imp hopped back, fluttering her bat wings, forcing Smirk and I to duck to avoid them. I’ve never seen her take flight before, not in all the years I’ve lived in this sanctuary. Nor have I seen Imp or Smirk show any interest in going anywhere. They’re content to crouch in the eaves of Daeric’s tower, fooling many into thinking they’re stone. 

“They were once Corwyth’s pets.” 

The gargoyles stilled, lowering their heads, acknowledging their master’s presence. I bowed, feeling a bit awkward. 

Daeric didn’t even look at us or acknowledge our reactions. He moved to the railing, enchanted to keep the world out or unwary apprentices from falling to their death. It didn’t mean you couldn’t see the world.

Caerac Keep spread out below, a series of shingled and thatches roofs, cut through with cobblestone streets. Above everything loomed the Earl of Caerac’s castle, its turrets facing us across the land. 

“He animated these gargoyles to be the eternal guardians of a temple of knowledge, where collections of books were gathered.” He turned from the view back towards the shadows which concealed the staircase, leading down into the library of the tower. “Even when Corwyth was a mortal cleric, he detested book burning, deemed it a mortal wrong equal to any act of disharmony the Order of the Dragon warned him to avoid.”

He slumped a bit against the railing, returning his attention to the panaroma below. 

“I didn’t realize he cared so much for books,” I ventured when it was clear Daeric would say no more unless prompted. 

“He wished to create a champion for the written word, someone who would fight for the knowledge trapped and helpless within their pages.” Daeric lifted a hand and studied his own broken nails, in need of a manicure. 

It was a relief to see his hands were as dirty as mine. It gave him a humanity his searing blue eyes, delicate jaw, and luminous golden hair distanced him from. 

I’ve been told I resemble him, in my hair and my eyes. If I do, I’m more like an unkept, awkward copy. If I have any beauty, I have yet to figure out how to channel it into my face and bearing, to strike awe into people’s hearts the way he does. 

I just make them uneasy. 

“The gargoyles are champions?” I glance at Imp and Smirk. They continued to hang their heads in a cowed fashion.

If we’d been alone, the three of us, Smirk might have rolled on his back, begging for a belly rub until Imp gave him a jealous swat. Seeing them so still was disturbing

Was this what most guests saw when they came to the tower?

Was this is the face they showed intruders?

“The gargoyles will rip anyone from limb to limb who’d desecrate my library or menace my charges.” Daeric raised a hand to run through his sun kissed hair, a moment of vanity even he might be unaware of. “They’ll devour flesh, bone, and stone, leaving no trace of our enemies behind.”

“Perhaps but they’d much prefer coal.” The words slipped out with an unguarded honesty. “Brimstone is their favorite food.”

Intense sapphire irises ringing pupils which contained a darkness common to every human fixed themselves upon me. “You’ve been feeding them. Keep at it, Rhodry, and they’ll lose their edge. Worse, they may confuse you with the rocks you give them.” The darkness swallowed the edges of the blue, transfixing me. 

I flinched, yet found a retort. “Imp and Smirk have never harmed me nor shown any intention of doing so.”

“You love books. You’d never harm my collection.” Daeric raised his arm, dark blue cape spilling over his sleeves. “Perhaps feeding them other things besides flesh has dulled their instinct.”

“You’d have me starve them?” I glanced back at the basket, tucked away behind a beam. 

It was filled with coal and a few pieces of brimstone. They gave off a scent distinctive to a gargoyle. Smirk ought to have perked up his flopping ears at the promiximity of such a treat. Imp ought to have sniffed all over the upper level of this tower, trying to find the tasty rocks. 

“Don’t soften them.” Daeric folded his arms and regarded the two gargoyles. “The safety of this tower depends on how dangerous they can be.” 

He turned to descend the stairs, his dark cloak billowing behind him. He paused for a moment. 

“Corwyth liked to feed them, too.” He didn’t turn around, didn’t look at me. “They behaved in an affectionate manner toward him I’ve never seen them show to anyone else. Not until you started feeding them.”

I swallowed, watching him descend.

The gargoyles raised their heads with timid caution at their master’s departure. 

“Well.” I swallowed, glanced in the direction of the basket I’d left up here. “It would be a shame to waste all that coal and brimstone.”


Imp skipped a little bit at my words while Smirk’s grin widened. 


No comments:

Post a Comment