Wednesday, July 22, 2020

Paula's Prompts: Wednesday Words

On February 26, 2020, P.T. Wyant posted at ptwyant.com  the Wednesday Words prompt 'write something from the point of view of an animal'.

The first animal to come to mind was my four-footed daughter, Cinnamon...:)

Mrrr. Stretching in the sun feels good, only something is dangling, moving. Reaching out to swat it with my paw, it wriggles away. Mrr. I hit it again.

“No!” The loud human bray startles me just when I was moving in for the kill. 

“Mrreow!” I look up at the round, hairless face of my servant, the one who feeds me. How dare they interrupt me, only I spot another dangling thing. It wiggles, sways, taunting me. I bat at it, try to bite it, only arrogant paws and nose come between me and my prey. 

I hiss at my rival, my stupid brother. He lunges at me, attempts to bite me. I hiss and dart away. Who does he think he is? That was my prey, my wiggly thing! He tries to nip my tail, like a coward. 

I let out a howl right before he tackles me again. Fool. Of course the humans come running. Of course they assume rightly that it’s his fault. I’ve got claws of my own, but why bother to use them on the likes of him? The humans will punish him. 

Yes, there’s more yelling. “No! Sage, stop trying to eat your sister!” He hangs his head, whiskers drooping. Of course they pet him, unable to stay mad. Don’t they realize what just happened is his fault?

The humans come and pet me, too hard and fast for my taste. I let out a mrr of protest. You can’t let up on your servants. You’ve got to train them to stroke you properly or they pick up all sorts of bad habits. I walk away, curling up in a corner, keeping an eye on Sage. 

He’s found a high place to curl up on, but he’s watching me. Just waiting until everyone’s backs are turned to pounce. 

Not if I pounce first. 


No comments:

Post a Comment