Wednesday, July 1, 2020

#QueerBlogWed: Paula's Prompts

On February 19, 2020, P.T. Wyant posted at ptwyant.com a Wednesday Words prompt involving matches, a gold bag, and a long road.

This Of Cuckoo Clocks and Crystal Coffins freebie story was the result...

I’ve got a box of matches, ooo, the anachronistic delight! Most of little mortals don’t have such toys, no, they don’t, nor do the more interesting folks.  Quartz and his brothers don’t bother with matches, I’m sure, the scowling lumps. Flint and tinder is much more their style. Well, they’ve already got my sweet cuckoo bird springing out of their clock to chirp the hour long before most humans will think of such a thing. My dwarf’s home is nothing if not progressive. We’ll see what Quartz thinks of box of matches. Jasper at least will be interested. I’m also bringing a golden bag to the cottage, filled with golden buttons. Quartz and his brothers will have to make sense of them, plus sew them into their coats, but my seven dwarves will be looking smart when I’m finished with them. 
I can almost hear my favorite dwarf’s grumbling at all these gifts:

“Don’t know why you bother. I know better than to accept presents from you, Nimmie Not. Why would we need a bag of golden buttons when brass ones serve us just as well? All we’re going to do is attract every goblin, troll, and kobold with these fancy airs!”

Ahem, you can see I’ve got a long road ahead before I claim the heart of that stubborn dwarf, even longer before he’d admit it. I can’t believe how hard it is convincing him he’s a Person of Importance. Most folks want to be important, but he seems to believe it’s more trouble than it’s worth. Ah, well, perhaps he’s showing a hint of wisdom in that. People of Importance do often get into trouble. At least he’s not completely uninterested in me, no matter how he scowls. I can tell by the twinkle in his eye. 


Onward I go on this lonely road to winning Quartz’s heart. At least the path ahead is entertaining, if often exasperating. 

No comments:

Post a Comment