Wednesday, January 9, 2019

Paula's Prompts: Stefan's Warning

On November 7, 2018, P.T. Wyant posted at ptwyant.com a Wednesday Word prompt:There is too much light in the world.

That line became the jumping off point for this Tale of the Navel: The Shadow Forest, a warning from Stefan Ashelocke, Duessa's First Marriage Feast and once her mentor. He sometimes whispers to Damian, acting a mentor to him as well.

There is too much light in the world.

Perhaps it was my mother who said this. I cannot remember. 

Over the years, I’ve come to agree with this statement more and more. 

The light burns. It exposes our weaknesses, our vulnerabilities to judgmental eyes. It destroys us with its judgment. 

By summoning the light, a mage attracts its attention. Creatures of light cannot let their summoners be. They crave worship, prostration, admissions that none are worthy of them. 

If a mage isn’t awed by their brilliance, willing to devote themselves to the light, the light will reject them. It will send its clerics and other agents to hunt the mage down. 

I wasn’t about the visualize the light, to call it to me, oh, no. I concentrated on the shadows instead. I looked for a patch of darkness in the forest. I imagine it spreading, allowing it to grow. 

The shadow spread across the leafy floor, reaching its dark fingers towards me. 

I was warned of the peril in this. One of my oldest friends feared the shadows I spread would consume me. 

I cannot dispute this. Especially when they did. 

Better to be consumed by a dark hunger than the burning rejection of the light, breathed upon us by its dragon, the icy spike of its brilliance driven into our breasts by the unicorn, unable to abide our impurity. I’ve seen the Followers of the Light turn on its own practioners, accusing them of being witches, heretics, a thousand angry names which mean one thing. 

You dared to play with the light. You aren’t worthy of its touch. No one is worthy of the light, for it shines deep into the flaws of every person, exposing them, revealing their ugliness. It’s only a matter of light before it summons a champion to strike down the unworthy vessel, removing it from the ranks. 

All the while, the light lies with its warmth, its kisses, its illumination.

Damian, my child, don’t let yourself be deceived by its glow. Whenever you summon the light, shape it with your hands, you give it an opportunity to burn and betray you. 

It shall do both to you before the end. It cannot help itself. It’s in his nature. 


I just hope you heed this warning, my child, before it’s too late. 

2 comments: