Wednesday, January 30, 2019

#QueerBlogWed: Paula's Prompt

On December 12, 2018, P. T. Wyant presented as her Wednesday Words prompt a torn curtain, a clock, and stationary.

I've had A Symposium in Space much on my mind of late, since my publisher just sent me Natasha Snow's beautiful concept art for the cover, yet the official cover isn't ready yet. This is why I've decided to do this letter from Phaedra to Sokrat in an old fashioned style in an old fashioned place. I've fished out one of the photos I myself have taken for this freebie story...

My dear Sokrat,

The antique stationary you got me is perfect for the cafe I’m in. Yes, I’m carrying around an old fashioned pile of paper, made from a tree on a world similar to those which once stretched their roots into Anicent Earth. 

I feel almost like I’ve been transported back in time, sitting here with this stationary as our foremothers must have long ago. I wonder if they once sat in such a historic cafe as the one which I’ve found on Aphrodite Prime. 

Yes, historic, not herstoric. This place hearkens back to a time of such words for all that it's part of the Intergalactic Empire. Yes, this is a world which Agathea has investments in, yet there’s a surprisingly amount of small businesses, ran by independent women, who’ve never felt the iron bootheel of a manager, reporting to a board of directors. 

This particular cafe is called Vesta’s Hearth. There’s a torn curtain of velvet, separating the front and the back. A battle of goddesses from long ago is depicted upon it, and not just goddesses. Athena steps on Ares’s back, while he lies prone in the dirt around the other warring deities. 

I marvel at how fleshy, pale, and small Athena looks. This is nothing like the larger than life images of her, grinning at Agathea’s Aphrodites, teeth flashing in defiance. 

Modern Athenas look very much like your Captain Alkibiadea. I hope you’re enjoying her company. Judging from your recent letter, you’ll be escaping from her soon. 

Speaking of your current passion, I wished to mention one more historic feature of this cafe. It’s part of a town square. Outside is an ancient clock tower. Yes, it’s an actual clock out of legend, with hands and numbers, letting out a loud, melodic bong upon the hour. When this happens, a fully armoured figure of Athena springs forth from the face with a shout, to make a circuit from one number to another. She’s pursued by a young girl wearing a loose shift, flowers in her long hair. The girl’s face is innocent, her lips are parted, yet her eyes are wide and hungry as she pursues to the Goddess of Wisdom. 

One imagines from her expression that she desires not only the Goddess’s love, but wisdom itself. Considering not only your turbulent relationship with Captain Alkibiadea, but your quest across the stars for knowledge, I couldn’t help but think of you, my dear Sokrat. 

I wish you well in that quest. I’ll never forget what you taught me in our brief time together, even though you’ll deny you ever have anything worth teaching. 

Be happy whenever you might wander next. May our paths cross again somewhere. 

Yours, 

Phaedra

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I enjoy writing correspondence now and then. :) Happy Writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! Thank you for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete