Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Dayel to Tayel

Recently I had a conversation with a friend which made me realize one of the twins’s names had to change. (To see that conversation, look for ‘Dayel to Tayel’ at cauldronkeeper.livejournal.com

The twins are still trying to cope with this change. 



Danyel: I don’t understand. Why are you changing your name?

Tayel: Close to ‘Tale’, yet distinctly different. You’ve always loved the tales. Both the ones trapped in books and which trip off the tongue. 

Danyel: Well, yes, but I feel like our names are drifting away from each other. They’re not as close as they were.

Tayel: Close enough to confuse the eye. Some eyes can’t see the difference. 

Danyel: I’ve always felt we were different, only too different at times.

Tayel: It takes time for a reader to recognize that distinctiveness. Our first encounters may be frustrating, frustrating enough to make readers walk away. 

Danyel: Wait a moment…are you saying you actually care what our readers think? Do you want people to read our stories?

Tayel: Of course not! (mutters) Well, perhaps a little. Not that it matters. Our creatrix decided that one of us had to give up his name. (mutters again) And *I* decided it wasn’t going to be you.

Danyel: What was that?

Tayel: Nothing. 

Danyel: Tayel, Tayel…I’m really having a hard time getting used to this. 

Tayel: Whisper it until you do. Contemplate the misery we’ll inflict upon the creatrix tenfold. 

Danyel: What misery are you referring to?

Tayel: (sounding smug) She has to go back and change my name in Stealing Myself From Shadows, The Hand and the Eye of the Tower, A Godling for Your Thoughts?, and all the future blog stories she had written in advance. Not to mention she has to decide whether or not to go back and change past blogs with my name in it. 


Me: (sweats) 

2 comments:

  1. Oh, wow. I'm struggling with the idea. ~grin~ The problem of similarity never occurred to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It didn't occur to me, either, until my friend mentioned it. I'm glad she did, though. I would have hated to find out later. (wry grin)

    ReplyDelete