Friday, April 21, 2017

R is for Rhane

Oh, are you really here? I sometimes can’t tell what’s real and what’s imaginary. No, I’m just kidding! Of course I can! I’m just usually thinking about Amberwyne and the game. It’s always there at the back of my mind. When I don’t want to deal with Beatrix, Mona, or I need to escape from this world, it’s there. Only I think my character is getting all too real. She’s starting to wonder why I let Beatrix treat me the way I do, why I don’t stand up for myself. I always play Amber standing up for herself. She doesn’t understand why I don’t do the same. This is the premise of my author’s Work In Progress, ‘The Players Are the Thing’. A group of characters in a roleplaying game become entirely too real. Only they want to try to play their players, help them work out some of the messes in their lives. After all, their players have always done their best by them, investing their heart and soul in them. Where did that crazy idea come from? Our characters are just characters, no matter how much we might love them. Still, Amber might have a point about my life. I really don’t like dwelling on it too much and I’m the one living it. Here’s a little bit about me. 

“I don’t have all day!” Rhane tried not to flinch at the whip crack in Beatrix’s voice. “I have work tonight, so I have to finish up this scenario.”

“I’ll be there in a moment,” Rhane said, surprised at her own assertiveness. No, not her own. Amberwyne’s. 

Only you created me. My strength exists in you. You just need to find it and claim it. 


“I can’t,” Rhane murmured, unaware that she was speaking out loud. “You’re what I wish I could be, not what I am.”

No comments:

Post a Comment