Saturday, April 25, 2020

V is for Varwyth

No one is whom they appear to be in this walled city. Quite a few deceivers wore masks and kept secrets, even before there was Trouble at Caerac Keep, from little Lord William Caerac and his sister to the oh, so holy Unicorns, not to mention the weapon master and the tavern mistress. No, I’m not forgetting the lovely Serpents in the tower. Daeric Nevalyn, William’s cherished pet sorcerer was filled with secrets, although he didn’t bother conceal the fact that he was keeping them. This may well have contributed to his disappearance. And of course his protégé, little Rhodry Nevalyn has secrets, even though he may be the most honest soul in Caerac Keep. Certainly more honest than our visiting Aethyrian barbarian and the Unicorn acolyte I’m keeping company with. This means I fit in perfectly within this keep, these would-be adventurers, even if they’d be shocked to hear me refer to them in such controversial terms. How times are changing! Events do keep moving, shifting to the irreverent glee of some, the deep distress of others. How do I feel about all these changes? I may have secrets of my own, I may hide behind a mask, but I’m earnest in my desire to help Daeric Nevalyn in his time of trouble. Nor have I any intention of abandoning Rhodry in the middle of this mess, either. Ah, Rhodry. He’s awakening hungers, passions, sentiments I haven’t felt in…I’m not sure how long. I’ve been so detached from the trouble here, mildly interested, both annoyed and amused by the rumours of the rise of the Vampire Corwyth. Rhodry had made me a part of it all, gotten me involved with his concern for his mentor, all of these missing people. It’s an intriguing change in an existence which can become stagnant. Change can either be a curse or a blessing, sometimes both. It certainly relieves boredom. We’ll see how this changes works out for me. It’ll be entertaining for someone in the end, who’ll be smiling and who’ll be scowling. For every end, there’s always a new beginning. I am curious what ends and what begins. It’s not like I don’t have a few surprises of my own for whomever is causing the trouble. We’ll see just how well the troublemakers will react to my surprise, if they survive it. Whatever happens, it’s bound to be interesting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment