Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Y is for Ylynessa

Change favors those bold enough to take advantage of it. It becomes the instruments of those who cultivate and create it, no matter how Trouble at Caerac Keep or elsewhere it might cause. Look at how it favored me. I was once a shivering little victim, human prey for the monsters wandering the land of Rowenda until I caught the eye of the right monster. That monster also happened to be a great lady and a shaper of history, no matter what else she was. Now I’m Lady Ylynessa Caerac, adopted sister of Lord William Caerac, a great lady in my own right. Now I have hopeful young favorites of my own, working in the shadows toward my cause, whether they’re aware of it or not. No, I’m not doing enough, as my own benefactors constantly remind me. We’re striving to shape a world where monsters stand equal to humans, although that’s only the public line. In truth, I want the nonhumans to take their rightful place as the rules of the World of Ouroboros. I want my brother, William, to be able to openly declare who and what he is, not skulk in the shadows, fearful of the Order of the Unicorn or anyone else who might condemn him. This task isn’t for my benefit, but those I love. If some humans and even some nonhumans have to be sacrificed to create this new world, well, isn’t it worth it? Too long has the Serpent been reviled in history, along with those She awakened, cursed as monsters. In truth “monsters” are as much a part of this world as humans. It’s a world we all must share, if we wish to continue our existences upon this World of Ouroboros. To do anything else is to deny reality. I no longer wish to deny reality. I wish to shape it myself. I wish to join the ranks of my brother, my benefactors. All I can do is prove my worth by serving them as best I can. Even if I perish, my work will live on long after me. This is of some comfort, even if I fail or am destroyed. I refuse to be destroyed easily and I’ll do all I can not to fail. This I swear. 

No comments:

Post a Comment