Tuesday, April 2, 2019

B is for Briar

Good day. I am Briar, witch-turned queen in our scribbler’s published tale, Fairest. I started out a lonely, unhappy villain. Cursed, determined to curse another, I was saved by true love. Only one thing continues to trouble me, waking me up from a peaceful sleep in my beloved’s arms. 

I hear Quartz, calling me in my sleep within the crystal coffin I lay for so long. Quartz, the dwarf who became the father my own never was. He took me in, gave me shelter when I was being hunted. Eventually my troubles found me, but he offered me sanctuary with a free heart. When I myself was cursed, he lay me in a crystal coffin which I suspect he shaped with his own affinity with stone. He broke my curse, only to die of fright when he saw me rise like an undead monster. Only I was no such creature. I was a witch. Magic flowed through me, awakened within me even as I was awakened. I wonder what effect that coffin is having on Quartz’s seemingly lifeless form, pouring magic into it. 

Perhaps he’s not as dead as I feared. 

I cannot get near the coffin. It’s guarded by a kobold with the same protective ferocity with which Quartz once guarded me as I lay within it. There’s a story involving Quartz and this kobold, a story he never told me. 

Nothing would please me more than to have Quartz come back to life and tell it. 

In the meantime, I just have to keep reaching out to him in my dreams. Rose once found me in such a place. Perhaps I’ll find Quartz there. I’ll keep trying and searching. I won’t give up until I find him. 


He’d do the same for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment