Saturday, April 6, 2019

F is for Faith

If I ever possessed another name, it’s no longer of any importance. I am now Faith, a cardinal point of the Unicorn’s Horn, a special division of the Order of the Unicorn at Caerac Keep dedicated to protection from the undead. The Horn is made up of three elite chosen ones who embody a virtue. I am Faith. My sisters are Hope and Charity. Only Hope has disappeared. Charity has fallen sick from a mysterious illness. I am alone at a fraction of my power without my other points. All this is part of the Trouble at Caerac Keep, a Work in Progress our scribbler needs to make more progress in so we can deal with the trouble. Alas in this tale I’m forced to team up with a Serpent Born (part of the golden-haired race descended from the Serpent, the most evil sorceress and demigod to walk the World of Omphalos), a foreign heretic (even if she is quite attractive), a devious little brat, and a creepy sorcerer who makes my skin crawl. I’m not sure if I want anything to do with these people. The lord and lady of Caerac Keep insist that I work with them. Sister Deirdre, head of our Unicorn Chapter in this Keep, instructed me to obey Lord William and Lady Ylynessa’s orders. The problem is I’m no longer certain if I trust either of them. I keep getting this odd chill, this sense of wrongness around them. I can’t explain it. Yet I’ve been commanded to obey them. I’m simply a point on the Unicorn’s horn, a tool for Her will. It’s not my place to question, but to act. Yet questions keep creeping into my mind in spite of my attempts to suppress them. Enough. People are disappearing from Caerac Keep, including Hope. My duty is to find those people. If allying myself with odd folk and obeying nobles who make me uneasy to help me in this, I shall cooperate. It’s that simple. Isn’t it? 

2 comments: