Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Z is for Zoe

Hello, I’m Zoe. For too long it feels like I’ve been just watching life pass me by, even while I watch her. Yes, there’s a her. I first noticed Rhane Soames when we were both in the library. The intense gleam in her crystal-blue eyes, the way her lips parted while she read a book captured my attention. Here was a girl who could truly care about something. I watched for for some time, seeing her at the library, at a nearby cafe, never daring to speak to her. It wasn’t until I overheard her conversation with another young woman I gathered enough nerve to approach. The two of them were at the cafe I’d often seen Rhane at, talking about a roleplaying game. A voice inside my head seemed to urge me to be bold. I walked up to the two girls at their table. I introduced myself, saying I could help overhearing what they were talking about. I loved roleplaying games and would welcome a chance to be in one. Beatrix, the dark-haired, scowling girl with Rhane looked me up and down, but she took the hint. I met Beatrix later when she was in a much better mood. She offered me a favorite non-player character of hers, Rhiannon to me. How her hazel eyes sparkled when she spoke of her creation! Beatrix appeared to care more about Rhiannon than she did about Rhane. This bothered me. Only Rhane herself seemed to be falling more and more in love with her own character, Amberwyne. I’m not certain if Rhane pays as much attention to me or anyone else as much as she does Amber. Mona, who plays Isolde in Beatrix’s game, seems to have a huge crush on Rhane, which she’s channeled into Isolde’s chivalrous devotion to Amberwyne. While Amber seems to reciprocate Isolde’s feelings, Rhane is a bit uncomfortable with Mona’s. Perhaps Mona is too pushy, invading Rhane’s personal space too often, something Rhane is very protective of. Mona might be far worse if not for her firm belief that Rhane is Beatrix’s girlfriend. I’m not sure if Beatrix and Rhane are mutually exclusive, but Rhane is content to let Mona think so. Rhane is not a girl who likes aggression or to be pushed. She withdraws from people who do so. Mona doesn’t seem to respect Rhane’s reserve, but she respects Beatrix. I’m not sure what sort of past Beatrix and Mona have, but Mona ofen acts a bit like a puppy dog around the other girl, fawning over her, dressing like her, begging for favors. Just as Rhane is often too passive around Beatrix, not wanting to start an arguement with the prickly gamemaster. This doesn’t seem to make Rhane or Mona happy. It doesn’t even make Beatrix happy, who I can already tell enjoys a little more opposition that she’s getting. Perhaps it’s none of business, but I’m now part of this roleplaying group. We could have so much more fun if Mona and Rhane showed a little more spirit and Beatrix a little more tolerance. Beatrix would respect her players more and run a much more interesting game if she didn’t have to have things her way all the time. I wish I could show her this. A voice inside my head cautions me to move slowly and wait for an opportunity to let Beatrix know that The Players Are the Thing. I just hope she listens and pays attention when I do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment