Sunday, April 1, 2018

A is for Amberwyne

A good day to you all. I’m Amberwyne. Long ago, my name belonged to another in a Fantasy Hero campaign. I claimed it for myself when I first came into being in Changeling the Dreaming as a sidhe changeling. Vastly different characters, she and I. Our name was linked in our creator’s mind with roleplaying games. 

I returned in a new form to become a part of my beloved Rhane in The Keep. It was a bond that endured long after that particular roleplaying game/interactive story ended. 

I’ve taken on a new form in a Work In Progress called The Players Are the Thing. I’m a character Rhane has created to play in a roleplaying game. Caught in a destructive relationship with her Game Master, Rhane pours all of her repressed passion and strength into me, bringing me to life. I use that strength to try to influence Rhane, to make her hearken to her own strength and creative individuality, to help her live a better life. This is my driving goal in my story. 

I’m trying to rouse the other characters to take control of their players in order to help them. It’s crucial we get to Beatrix, the Game Master above all else. At first we thought she was a monster, but she may be the unhappiest of the lot. She may be trying to fight herself, quashing the better part of herself without realizing it. 

Our creator wanted to tell a story where getting absorbed in a roleplaying game helped everyone involved to resolve some of their misery. To do that, we have to turn the tables on our players. Get our hands on the mystical talismen known as ‘dice’. To enter a portal, so we can possess our players and play them. 

Our story has been neglected among the many floating in our creator’s imagination. We received a little attention when a submission call came up which was perfect for The Players Are the Thing. Alas, the submission call may have been perfect, but the timing wasn’t. We weren’t finished in time for the time deadline. 

We will be finished. We will have our story. I watch and whisper in our creator’s ear. I take over her imagination from time to time. I never allow her to forget us. 

Our story will be told, even if it’s only in pieces. One day, those pieces will form a whole. 


2 comments:

  1. Wow! You are busy this month! Thank you for sharing this. Happy Writing, my dear.

    ReplyDelete