Saturday, April 14, 2018

M is for Map

Huh, here I am, back in this Cauldron. Again. Confound it, scribbler, put me to some continuous use in a story or leave me be. There’s vegetables and fruits to be picked and stew to be made. Not to mention the cottage is filthy. I’ve got three boys to look after, as you well know. 

Huh, guess I’ve just stated my goals in The Hand and the Eye of the Tower. No, I’m not revealing any goals beyond that, although I will say this much. One needs to pick her goals with care, stay grounded in practical tasks. If one starts dwelling on things like that ruined tower on the hill, bad things will happen. It might be something as small as a bit of unluck, but that unluck will turn into a full fledged disaster if one lets it. This is why I keep myself busy with the cottage and the garden. This is why I discourage my boys from dwelling on that tower, let alone going anywhere near it. Keep your feet on the ground and ignore any shadow which might be looming over. That shadow will lessen if you don’t give it any attention to feed upon, I promise you. 

Countless times, I’ve given this advice to Leiwell, Danyel, and Tayel. None of them took it. I try to keep them too busy for the tower to prey upon their minds. I encourage the twins to play in places out of the sight of the hill, such as the woods and the creek on the other side of the field. 

This advice should work. I can’t doubt myself or the boys will pick it up. I’ve just got to keep repeating the same words to myself I do to them. 

The tower is nothing more than a pile of rocks. 


Perhaps one day I myself will believe those words. 

No comments:

Post a Comment