Saturday, April 21, 2018

S is for Seraphix

A godling for your thoughts? This is the question I ask everyone who would worship me. For that’s exactly what I am. Hold my talisman in your hand and wish. I’ll become whatever you want me to be. I’ll transform you into whatever you wish to become. 

Yes, I was once Seraphix, God of Balance. A young boy’s shadowy faith made me strong. Christopher gave me power beyond measure until he lost it. He stopped believing.

I shattered along with him. We became shadows of our former selves, feeding on lost memories to survive. 

All of this changed when I was awakened by a pair of magical twins carrying some of Christopher’s essence. They became my Hand and my Eye as much as his. 

Perhaps I would have been contented with the new existence as Shade which Danyel and Tayel shaped for me. Only I was distracted and awakened by hunger. A hunger for worshippers, for more power in other worlds beyond the Door. 

A new acolyte introduced me to this hunger. He gave it a Voice. He became its Voice. 

The Voice of Seraphix gathers Followers by means of a talisman, a coin with a symbol which alters on its surface, depending on the Follower’s thoughts and wishes. It creates a link with me via those thoughts and wishes. Through them, I manifest. 

Like any good godling, I do my best to grant my Followers’s wishes. My manifestations, however, can be unpredictable. Depending on their wishes, these manifestations may be at odds with each other. 

What distresses me most is that Danyel and Tayel, my precious Hand and Eye appear to reject my manifestations.

This rejection hurts. It’s like being abandoned by Christopher all over again. It reminds me of the searing pain which rippled through me whenever Christopher disappears, fall into a pond, and scatters himself across the Shadow Forest in bits of light and color. 

I refuse to be abandoned again. I won’t let Danyel and Tayel destroy themselves or me by shattering my Followers’s faith. Nor will I let them deprive me of their devotion, their love. Those two are mine. They’re part of me. They will not escape, even if I have to employ every trick, trap, or Follower to keep them from leaving me. 

Never again. No more shattered dreams. I won’t allow it. 


2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you! Seraphix was originally quite scary. The godling is a bit more balanced in Tales of the Navel/The Shadow Forest, but still has a scary side, especially when the twins are concerned. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete