Monday, April 9, 2018

H is for Hector and Harold

Hector: Why am I sharing this Cauldron with this fop?

Harold: Hmph! Mind your tone, ruffian. Unlike you, I’ve actually been in a published story. 

Hector: I doubt you did anything useful in that story. What was your character goal, to moon at yourself in a mirror?

Harold: I’ll have you know I was a suitor for the Princess Rose’s hand! A most suitable suitor, I might add! 

Hector: Until this Princess Rose found herself a better man. 

Harold: No, a better woman. Not that she was better! She was a witch! Not to mention another woman! It was quite perverse!

Hector: I’ll wager this witch was more promising than you, perverse or no. You could give my brother, Paris lessons in foppery. 

Harold: Hmph! Unlike you, I’m a civilized man. I’ve devoted myself to increasing my family’s wealth and power. I’ve never wavered from this goal, even if I didn’t get the princess. 

Hector: Wealth and power can be fickle friends. They attract enemies, sniffing after what you have, eager to take them by force. 

Harold: I shouldn’t think a great brute of a man like yourself would worry. 

Hector: I’m hardly Hercules, even though I am capable of vanquishing most of Troy’s enemies. There is one that…troubles me. 

Harold: Ho, an even bigger brute than yourself?

Hector: I suppose a fop like you would see me as a brute. In naming Achille thus, you may speak true. He’s the mightiest of the Achaens and he’s set his sights upon my brother. 

Harold: Set his sights? You mean this Achille wants to kill him?

Hector: No. Achille means to court Troile by fair means or foul. 

Harold: Court?! You mean as in woo?

Hector: It may not have been a problem kept within honorable bounds. Achille is an Achaen and an enemy of Troy, part of a massive invasion force. He shall not take my brother as if he were one of the women he seized in plunder in a raid. 

Harold: Well, I should think not! That would be ooo…I mean outrageous! Ah…unacceptable! 

Hector: Quite true. I must do all I can to keep my innocent brother from this ravening Achaen’s lust. 

Harold: Ah, but is your brother truly innocent?

Hector: How dare you! Just what are you implying? Troile may have questionable taste, but he’s a virtuous youth and loyal to Troy!

Harold: Well, yes, but if this Achille is truly courting him with err, costly presents, I can see how a boy’s head might be turned by rich gifts. 

Hector: Troile is not so greedy that he’d let his head be turned by such things!

Harold: No need to draw your sword! Of course not, it’s just, well, youth. 

Hector: Nor would he let his young head be turned by a hero’s glory. He wouldn’t. 

Harold: No, I can see that’s true…

Hector: And I’ll remind him of his duty if he should waver! By force, if necessary!


Harold: Eep…


Psst, Hector is from a Work In Progress called 'Aissa and Polyxena', a m/m mythical tale of cross dressing and moderate steam. It's currently my Camp NaNoWriMo project.

Hector: What are you doing here, scribbler? Get back to my story! 

Harold: Hah, not that I care. My story is finished...and published. 

Hector: (pointing his sword at Harold) Are you mocking my unpublished state, fop? 

Harold: Err, of course not! (sweats) 

No comments:

Post a Comment