Thursday, April 26, 2018

W is for William

Don’t look at me with such insolence or reproach. I happen to be the Earl of Caerac Keep. No, I wasn’t born to the title. I was born long before such a title existed. Caerac, whom became Lord Caerac adopted me as his son and heir. 

The world thinks I died long ago. It’s a secret I’ve kept, reinventing myself so I could hide my true nature from all but a few intimates. I’ve kept my appearances mysterious, used underlings to act as my daytime eyes and ears. I’ve managed to sustain my appetite for blood, killing seldom. 

Daeric Nevalyn has been very obliging in feeding my hunger. A little of his blood goes a long way in satisfying me where I’d have to take far more from another victim. 

Daeric Nevalyn is no victim, though. He’s far older than I am. Everyone regards him as my pet sorcerer, my pet catamite. In truth, he looked exactly as he does now as he did when I was a mortal boy. He is no vampire, though. I’m not sure what he is. His tower stood long before Caerac Keep was built. He’s kept an eye on me and my walled city, advising me for so long I don’t know what I’d do without him.

Only I am now forced to do without him. Daeric has disappeared along with countless other people in my walled city. 

I’m not alone in facing this menace. I have the girl all the world thinks is my younger sister, my Ylynessa. She has grown up to be a clever and capable woman, plus she’s one of the few I trust with my secret. Only she goes a little too far in advocating monster rights to the point that she puts Caerac Keep in danger. 

I miss Daeric’s counsel, his knowledge which spans across centuries. I feel helpless without him. 
I don’t like to think of what’s capable of capturing him. The possibility that it might be the Vampire Corwyth terrifies me for more reasons than one. I’ve labored for centuries to encourage skepticism and forgetfulness in regards to vampirism. I don’t want anyone guessing my true nature, let alone driving a stake in my heart. 

These recent abductions, the bloodless bodies that have been found have gotten people thinking about vampires again. Whomever is behind all of this has to be stopped. They could undermine my entire way of unlife I’ve created here.

Not that I think the children I asked to investigate the disappearances will actually stop anything. No, they will stir my enemy into action, luring them out into the open. Once they do so, I shall strike, teaching this upstart that Lord William, Earl of Caerac Keep is not be taken lightly. Afterwards, I’ll remove every trace of vampire involvement that might come to light.

I’ve worked hard, creating a comfortable existence for myself as a lord here. I’ve also toiled over the century to make Caerac Keep a peaceful, prosperous place. I’m not letting the Keep or my existence go without a fight. 


Trouble at Caerac Keep means trouble for me. I won’t let it continue. Not as long as I rule here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment