Monday, April 16, 2018

N is for Nathalie

Why, hello there! What? You thought I was a princess? Oh, that Grace! Don’t take her too seriously. I’m afraid I infected her with my love of telling tall tales and well, stories in general. Maia worries about this, but I don’t see the harm in it. Perhaps Grace will become a writer. 

Ah, stories. It’s been a while since I told Grace any. I’ve been so busy. I hardly ever see Maia and Grace anymore. I’d like to see more of them. Not that I don’t enjoy my travels. They take me all over the world. I’m able to bring back all kinds of presents for Maia and Grace. They seem to love my gifts, although Grace’s favorite is that flattened teddy bear I got her years ago. Maia no longer admires the rings or the necklaces I bring her. She just stares at me, her eyes filled with sadness. 

Why? What am I doing wrong? My work paid for a much nicer house. We live better than we ever have. Why does it seem like we were happier when we had less?


Don’t get me wrong. I love my job. I love traveling. I miss my family, though. I wish I could take them with me, but I can’t. My job doesn’t pay that well, alas. I try to make the most of my visits, share a little of my adventures when I come home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment