Tuesday, April 3, 2018

C is for Caerac

After all, I’m just a dead adventurer, or deceased thug, according to you self righteous younglings. I’m not even one of the major characters in my own story even if my name is used for the title. That’s right, it’s called Trouble at Caerac Keep. Just another one of those Works in Progress our creatrix couldn’t find enough time to bother with. 

I’ll have you know I’m the one who founded Caerac Keep. That’s why it’s named after me. It was nothing but a castle which expanded into a walled city over the years. It was still growing when I died. Not that it could have grown without the treasure I collected during my life as an adventurer. 

Centuries later, my own people don’t even call my exploits adventuring. They call it looting, stealing, and preying upon nonhumans! Preying upon nonhumans! Is that what younglings call fighting monsters these days? The way you go on and on about it! Oh, no, what you did was wrong! Goblins, dragons, and werecreatures have rights, too, wah! All the while you take shelter within the walls built by the treasure that I took, complaining about me in my tavern! Well, all right, maybe it’s not my tavern, but it wouldn’t be standing if not for me! I’d think you younglings would show some respect! All of this whining about monsters having rights, but do you show any consideration for the dead? 

No! You pour your blood down my throat, pleading for my help. Caerac, you must return to us in our hour of need. People are disappearing. 

Well, no surprise, the way you let monsters run around. Not to mention you put all these moral restrictions upon adventurers who are your best hope of protecting you from them. Besides how should I know anything about what’s happening in the Keep? I’ve been dead. 

The Vampire Corwyth had risen once more to stalk the world with his undead legions. 

No way, Corwyth?! That pretty boy cleric who was so mad to join the Order of Dragons? He was as bad as you, always going on about what’s right and wrong, as if he’d get into personal trouble if he had too many drinks or enjoyed a little fun. Needed to relax that one, although he was handy about banishing the undead. Last person I’d see becoming one. He could have gotten on their bad side. Maybe one of those cursed blood lords decided to turn him as punishment. Or decided he was too pretty to die? His looks were constantly getting him into trouble. Yes, I could see that happening. 


I still don’t see why you’re bothering me about it. My time is over. I no longer recognize this world. All I want to do is get some rest, a little peace. After all the peril I went through in life, you’d think I’d earned it. Enough. Get out of my crypt. And shut my sarcophagus when you leave. 

No comments:

Post a Comment