Monday, April 4, 2022

C is for Caerac

Eh, what’s that? Why are you bothering me? Can’t you let a dead man rest in peace? Who am I? Why, I was once Caerac, hero, adventurer, and founder of a Keep! I made my way across lands swarming with monsters, living by the strength of my sword. I gave other humans the shelter to build shelters of their own, driving back the kobolds into their den and facing them there. Why, my companions and I were famous! With the treasure we won, I founded Caerac Keep, creating a little shelter and a home in a monster-infested land. Well, yes, I took that treasure from others I killed, but they were monsters! Who are you calling a murderer? Who knows how many the monsters would have murdered if I hadn’t struck first? And why shouldn’t I take their treasure after they nearly killed me? I was a hero, I’m telling you, a hero! Why else would a Keep be named after me? All right, I was the one who named it, but still I earned every bit of glory I won in life. What do you mean, how did the scribbler come up with my concept? Are you suggesting she just needed a name for her Keep? That I’m just a plot device for the protagonists in Trouble at Caerac Keep, a dead man they can raise and question? There wouldn’t even be a Caerac Keep if not for me. Now go away. Stop banging on my sarcophagus. Let a dead man rest in peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment