Thursday, April 21, 2022

R is for Rhane

I was born along with The Keep. You might say I was born for Amberwyne even if our story says I’m the one who created her.

You see, she existed first.

The original Amberwine was a quite a different character from my Amberwyne, a tough-talking youth from a matriarchy. This Amberwine became Ariadne of Aethyria, pursuing her missing sister to a foreign land where she’s wrapped up in the Trouble at Caerac Keep.

My Amberwyne was a wacky sidhe childing in a roleplaying game, reduced to a state of innocence due to the leanhaun seductress who devoured her. She brought some of this to The Keep where she was reimagined with me at her side. We’d both been victims of Fidessa, the same leanhuan. You might say she was my inner child, transformed into a separate person by my trauma. I had a lot of secrets still waiting to be uncovered in The Keep. I don’t think the scribbler could let me be, not after all the plotting and planning she’d put into me.

I’m not sure if it was P.T. Wyant’s Wednesday Words or Blogging From AZ which reforged my identity and Amberwyne as player and character in The Players Are the Thing. I became part of a roleplaying game with Beatrix (a victim of vampires in The Keep), Mona (an angry survivor of vampirees and wannabe vampire hunter in The Keep), and Zoe. Amberwyne became my character in a roleplaying game, a character I found myself falling in love with. Literally.

The scribbler wanted me to express this unorthodox passion, yet she didn’t want to make the roleplaying game or my feelings a negative experience. On the contrary, she wanted to show how positive it could be, bringing people together, allowing them to release their creativity. Only my girlfriend, Beatrix has been seriously damaged by bad experiences with bad roleplayers. This is why she only games with women. It leaves her open to the curse of the dice and Fidessa’s wrath. Yes, the major villain in Beatrix’s own game became aware she’s only a character. She decides to vent her wrath upon the upstart gamemaster who dared to toy with her. It’s up to Amberwyne and the other characters to save their players and the game master. Not being real, they need me and the other players to help them.

Yes, it sounds like a complex story, doesn’t it? No wonder our scribbler is having trouble finishing it. Only she keeps returning to The Players Are the Thing in snippets, fragments, blog posts, and freebie stories. I know she can’t forget us. I know she will return to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment