Thursday, April 7, 2022

F is for Faith

Faith, Charity, and Hope. What sharpens and tempers the Unicorn’s horn as She heals the ailing land of Rowenda. These are the names given Her three chosen acolytes to Her service. I was the first of these acolytes to emerge from the scribbler’s imagination when she revised her conception of Rhodry Nevalyn’s companions in Trouble at Caerac Keep. Of course it’s all about Rhodry. Why do I, chosen of the Unicorn Goddess have to play secondary character to a Serpent-Born abomination like him? (Why hasn’t Quartz invited me to Secondary Characters Speak Out to complain about it? Doesn’t he wish to hear my grievances?) That scribbler is far too fond of Serpent-Born abominations, but I digress. I believe my origins began here. During a past #BloggingFromAZAprilChallenge, the very first the scribbler took part in. She needed a cleric to represent the Unicorn Goddess whom she so blasphemously regards as the mainstream religion in the Worlds of Ouroborous. More blasphemy, regarding the world as belonging to a giant serpent, let along being part of a giant serpent. The very thought makes my skin crawl. Ahem, again, I digress. She needed someone different than her precious Rhodry invested in Caerac Keep, someone who lived there. She needed someone to express the concerns of the Keep regarding creatures like Rhodry and his master. She needed someone who’d lost someone dear to her, trying to save them. Thus my poor sister Hope disappears and my other sister, Charity lies in a swoon, too tired to move, marked by what many regard as the kiss of the vampire. Hope isn’t the only one missing. Nor is Charity the only one who lies ill. They are the only ones thus affected who were taken or struck down at the Unicorn temple itself. Our Goddess protects the temple. It is warded against the undead specifically. This is why I reluctantly find myself agreeing with the Serpent-Born about vampires being the source of the problem. They shouldn’t even be able to enter the temple, let alone touch those chosen and blessed by the Unicorn. I must find the true villains kidnapping our people and attacking them. This is why I’m allied with Rhodry against my much-better judgment, along with an unsettling sorcerer and a far too attractive foreigner from Aethyria. We must get to the truth and save our people. Wish us luck in our quest. May the scribbler return her wayward attention to that quest, a quest which is too often neglected.

No comments:

Post a Comment